About us

 The State Government Printing Press at Shimla was set up at the basement of old Secretariat Building in the year 1948 to cater to the printing requirements. The staff and machinary were made available from three erstwhile states of Bilaspur, Mandi and Sirmaur. Due to increase in printing activities the press was shifted at Race View, Shimla 3 in 1952. The building at Race View was gutted in a fire in November 1981 and the Government Press was resited at Ghora Chowki and housed in new constructed 'B' block on temporary basis. Two temporary sheds were constructed to accomodate binding section, monocasting branch etc.

In 1986, 4 new letter press printing machines were purchased  and one single colour offset machine acquired by Health and Family Welfare Department was also installed in the Press. During the year 1987, two new offset machines alongwith other equipments were purchased. The construction work of the Government Press Building phase - II at Ghora Chowki was completed in 1987. All printing machines were shifted to the newly constructed building by 1987. Thus modernisation process started.